At Panasonic Eco and UD design.
William Powrie, Bob Lisney, and Gina has given us their ideas.
Bob Lisney William Powrie
Panasonic, the leading brand for which Matsushita Electric Industrial Co. is best known for excellence of electronic products.
The Eco & UD (universal design) House is a life-size model
1. house that aims to display Matsushita's efforts toward ecology and the principles of universal design.
2. The "real" house is located in Panasonic Center Tokyo, and has been open to the public since January 4, 2006
3. filled with Panasonic's products, technologies and ideas, but their stated goal is to offer total home solutions for comfortable living and a new lifestyle in an ecologically sound environment.
To achieve their goals, they have built it with Panasonic's 6 principles of Universal Design, and Factor X
Comfortable posture and motion
Consideration to safety
Displays and phrases that are easy to understand
Easy movement and space characteristics
Environment in which product will be used Factor 10
●theory stating that in order to be ecologically sound, resource efficiency must increase by a factor of 10.
●This is found by dividing the resource output, by the input. This means you can either decrease resource use for the same productivity, or increase productivity with a fixed amount of resources.
● Panasonic uses a version of Factor X that refers to the measurement to achieve a balance between the "improvement of quality of life" from the customer's viewpoint, and the "reduction of environmental impact" over the entire product life cycle.
Quality of Life is defined by number of functions a product performs for- Safety / Sense of security- Comfort and convenience- Versatility and Flexibility- Universal Design and Flexibility for allEnvironmental impact if found by measuring- Prevention of global warming (GHG factor)- Effective use of resources (Resource factor)- Reduction/elimination in use of specified chemical substances
● Panasonics current goal is to reduce 60% of greenhouse gas (GHG) by the year 2010.
●According to their current calculations, they have already achieved a factor of 5, meaning that the number of functions for products in the house have doubled, while GHG emissions have been cut by 40%.
l whats displayed?
1. fuel-cell co-generation and solar power generation systems
2. green roof the increase energy efficiency, reduce the warming effect of the urban heat islands.
3. House Shelter with High Insulator and Air Tightness Rainwater Pooling System.
Smaller appliance solutions –
1. include a self-cleaning air conditioner
2. a hydro-fluorocarbon free refrigerator, a dish washer and a tilted-drum washer
3. dryer which clean with significantly less amount of water and long-life LED lighting devices which virtually do not need to be replaced.